When you have to replace that exterior door, don’t throw your money at some repairman! You probably already have all the tools around the house to fix it yourself, all you need is the new door and you’re all set. Follow these simple steps on how to replace an exterior door and save yourself a little cash today.
Tools for Replacing an Exterior Door
Like stated above, most of these tools you already have laying around your home. Replacing an exterior door is much easier than you think and will save you time and money.
- Tape measure
- Power drill
Steps to Replace an Exterior Door
Before taking off your current door, first make sure that the new door you have is the right size. Like the saying goes ‘measure twice, cut once’! You don’t want to have the wrong size and have no door while you wait to get the correct size. After you are sure you have the right door, follow these simple steps to remove your exterior door.
- Use the screwdriver to knock out the pins that hold the door on the hinges
- Make sure you have a good grip on the door and then remove it off the hinges and set it aside
- Unscrew the hinges off the old door
- Measure the length between hinges, and mark them on the new door
- Screw the hinges into the new door
- Remove the locking mechanism and handle from the old door and attach it to the new door
- Put the new door back on the wall hinges and hammer the pins back in
- Dispose of the old door and buy yourself something with the money saved by not calling a repairman!
Replacement Exterior Door Parts
Looking for the proper parts for all your DIY needs around the house? Check out DIY Door Store and get every part you’ll need for when you need to replace any door in your house. Also refer to our sites frequently asked questions section for more information on how to replace an exterior door and many other door projects.