Door glass inserts break very easily and are actually much easier to repair than you might think. Why pay for a repairman to come to your home and overcharge you for a project you could simply accomplish on your own? Here are a few simple steps to replace door glass inserts and get your home back to looking beautiful.
Tools and Materials to Replace Door Glass Inserts
- Caulk/ Caulk Gun
- Power Drill
- Phillips/ Flathead Screwdriver
- Measuring Tape
- Metal Putty Knife
Removing the Door Glass Insert
When removing the door glass insert be very careful, you don’t want it to shatter and have even more of a mess than you already have. These step-by-step instructions will allow you to completely replace your door glass insert and save you the time and money of calling a professional repairman.
- Take door off the hinges
- Lay down flat on an elevated surface, with the exterior side down
- Remove all screws from the front of the door frame
- Remove the door and frame so the glass corners are visible
- With the putty knife, remove all the excess caulk from the frame
- Now, carefully remove the glass section and dispose of it properly
Installing the New Door Glass Insert
Make sure you have measured the frame, and have the exact size of the glass section. Remember when you replace door glass insert, it will be better if it is slightly smaller than the door frame than one that is too large, the caulk will hold it in place.
- Caulk the outer edges of the door frame that connects to the door
- Caulk the inner edges of the frame that connects the exterior door to the glass
- Set the new glass in
- Take the door frame and set it on top of the new glass insert and turn the whole door over
- Replace the screws
- Place back on hinges
Next time you have a door glass insert that needs replacing check out DIY Door Stores FAQ page and see if you can save yourself some time and money by repairing it on your own! Shop new door glass inserts here!