Although many believe it is a job that should only be left to a professional, replacing glass on a door with wood mouldings is actually something that anyone can do all by themselves. As long as you have the right materials and follow these instructions, your door will be looking good as new in just a short matter of time.
Reasons For Replacing Glass on a Door with Wood Mouldings
Over time, glass can lose its luster. Factors like harsh weather, moist conditions or prolonged exposure to sunlight can eventually take a toll on glass, causing it to become yellowed or cloudy. There comes a time when all glass must be replaced. Luckily, replacing glass on a door with wood mouldings is a fairly simple task.
Steps In Replacing Glass on a Door with Wood Mouldings
- Gather materials. In addition to the new replacement glass, replacing glass on a door with wood mouldings requires several supplies. To get the job done right, be sure to locate a metal putty knife, glazing compound caulk and gun, nails, a hammer, measuring tape and a pair of work gloves.
- Remove wooden strips. With your metal putty knife, carefully detach the wooden stops surrounding the glass panels and set them aside.
- Scrape away old caulk. Run the metal putty knife along the edges of the glass and remove as much of the old caulk as you can. This may seem like a tedious step in replacing glass on a door with wood mouldings, but it’s important to try to get the glass as clean as possible.
- Remove old glass. Using your hammer, extract all of the nails holding the glass in place and take the old glass out. Carefully discard the old piece of glass so that it doesn’t cause harm to yourself or others.
- Caulk inside of frame. Carefully apply glazing compound caulk around the interior of the window frame. When replacing glass on a door with wood mouldings, it’s important to perform each step slowly and steadily.
- Insert new glass. Slowly lay new piece of glass into the window opening and replace each wooden strip that you removed previously. Secure each one with a small nail.
Find What You Need For Replacing Glass on a Door with Wood Mouldings
Whether it’s something you need to do now or are considering for the future, DIY Door Store has everything you need for replacing glass on a door with wood mouldings. Even though we have many sizes and styles to choose from, custom sizes are available as well. For questions, call (888) 998-3667 and one of our experts would be happy to assist you.